Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sugar Cookies with Pink Filling



As I sit here, listening to Kev-O play guitar, eating my cookie crisp, i reminisce about the most current bake-sesh. These cookies jumped to the top on the list of my favorite cookies to make. I mean, look at them, they look like little sugary hamburgers!! This was going to be my second attempt at a LEVEL 2 Difficulty cookie (the other being the Chocolate Covered Macaroons). Daunting, yes, but impossible? Of course not, so I decided to go for it! The process reminded me of the days when I used to make Christmas cookies with Mom and Dan, whereas we got to roll out the dough and cutout the cookies. The odd thing about these sugar cookies was though, that they did not have any sugar in them before they were baked...just cream, flour, and salt lol. To my inexperienced self, this was odd, but I figured all of the sugar that was added later would make up for it, so I just went with it.

I mixed up the stuff, cooled it, brought them out to bake 30 minutes later, then realized that I had a problem...No Cookie Cutter to make the perfectly rounded shape shown in the picture. Time to improvise!! I looked around for something that was about an inch and a half in diameter. Nothing was that close, so I decided on the bottle cap to the drink I was currently downing. It ended up working out for the better as this produced many small cookies rather than the estimated 12 by the book. I watched them closely in the oven, taking care not to overcook them because the consistency of the cookies was sure to be important as it was basically going to be a vessel for the sugary filling and confectioner's sugar to reach the mouth. They came out great, bland from what I was used to, but very puffy, which was way different from anything I had baked before.

Next came the filling, yet another thing I had never made from scratch before. It was an interesting little mixture, and though I would have preferred a deeper color for my filling, I decided to stick to the recipe.

Then came my favorite part...the combining of the cookies with the filling! Something was oddly satisfying about the assemblage of the cute, little, and sugary sandwiches. As I topped the already amazing cookies with sugar, I reflected on how much fun I had making these cookies. So, because of that, and how freakin' delicious they were, I am going to have to give these cookies an overall rating of...

8.5/10

3 comments: